Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Homecoming


So I got an email on a Sunday a couple of weeks ago which read: "At Ft. Campbell, arriving at airport tomorrow. Pick me up." Which left me completely stunned. He was home. He was in the U.S.! He was going to be HERE tomorrow! SIX MONTHS EARLY! My thoughts raced from, 'oh crap this house is a mess' to 'oh crap, I need to lose twenty pounds before tomorrow!' (weight loss had been my goal for this year-long deployment-- sigh) And then...how am I going to keep this secret from my kids? And then, should I call the local news and have the big reunion televised?! So many things to think about and decide in the next twelve hours!

I quickly canceled their impending Dentist appointments for the next morning, feeling guilty since it had been six months. But my sister pointed out (she was here when I got the surprise email) that it was OKAY to cancel for this reason. My sister is, quite frequently, a voice of reason for my cluttered, unreasonable head. I then had to make the decision: Do I bring them to the airport or bring them to school and surprise them at school? After mulling that over and remembering that my oldest would be quite suspicious if I took him out of school for a little jaunt to the airport, I decided on option B. Surprise them at school. But still....do I call the press? Should I?

So the next day, I dropped them off, ran to the store, got balloons, ran home, threw up a sign (which my sister and I had luckily found in our basement -- a sign that has been used at least twice before) that welcomed Daddy home, and tried to look my best as I drove to the airport...wishing like hell I had at least lost five pounds. Damn you muffins from the commissary! Traitors!

I was nervous. I hadn't seen him in person in five months. We've gone longer before, but the nerves just come anyway. Finally, after waiting and waiting and looking very anxious (I noticed a few security guards glancing my way a few times -- I was pacing around and getting up and down) his plane arrived! I am not kidding when I say to you he was the LAST one off the plane. Seriously. And the first thing he says to me after not seeing me for five months? "Where are the kids?!" Ok. Then he hugged me and asked why I was crying. What?! I felt like asking, 'Why aren't you?!' But I didn't. He gets nervous with PDA....especially in uniform. 

I guess I should have brought a sign and some balloons to the airport so it made sense to people watching....but come on. He's in a uniform, I'm crying and hugging him hard. What else would it be? But no one said anything to us, and we did get a lot of strange looks. I guess people didn't know he was deployed. I assumed everyone did. (wink)

We ate a quick lunch sitting across from each other. I kept looking at him and feeling like he had never left. That the last few months didn't happen. How funny that time does that. How marriage does that. I was so excited to bring him to the school, I just wanted lunch to end. I kept looking at him, reminding my brain that this was real. 

We got to the school and decided to surprise my little girl first. So we had her called up from Music class. Hubby hid while I stood at the top of the stairs waiting for her. She came up and I started filming....then she saw her Daddy. "DADDY!" she yelled and ran to him. He picked her up and she said, "Wow, you're really high!" They hugged and kissed and she kept staring at ME. Finally she asked, "Can I go back to Music now?" Ummmm....okay? So, off she went. Not the reaction I was expecting. Good thing I didn't call the news crew for that tear-jerker.

Okay, on to oldest son. He came around the corner while I was filming and he said, "What are you doing?" I said, "I'm filming your teeth!" (he had just lost one of his teeth) when he turned the corner and saw his Daddy. He ran up to Daddy and jumped into his arms. He didn't say a word. Just squeezed his eyes shut and held on for dear life. (Should have called the news for this one) My husband was trying to hold it together, so he put my eight year old down and asked, "Were you good for Mommy while I was gone?" (HA! Ummm...not so much) My son looked at me and said, "Was I Mommy?" End scene. Let's keep this on a happy note everyone! (I did respond with a quick, "Yes! Of course!" -- ahem)

So then we all drove over to the preschool (I went down and got my daughter out of Music class) to surprise my littlest guy. He was outside so we had to do a covert mission. We ducked, parked and walked the long way into his classroom. His reaction was precious. He saw Daddy...yelled, "Daddy!" ran and jumped into his arms. When he stopped hugging Daddy, he wiped his eyes with his whole arm and said, "I cwying" then (best part) leaned towards me for a Mommy hug. Made. My. Year. (Someone call the news RIGHT NOW!)

From there it was a blur. We showed Daddy our new scars, our new toys, the sign "we" put up for him, our Tai Kwon Do moves, our gymnastics moves, and generally caught him up with our lives. Daddy decided to take us out to dinner. The kids voted unanimously for IHop. Pancakes for everyone! It's reunion time! 

That is where the day was made complete. We were all enjoying ourselves, getting tired from the long day of surprises, when the waitress put the receipt on the table. We thanked her and then a few minutes later she came back and said, "Umm...someone ended up taking care of this for you." We were shocked. This has never happened to us before. We've gone out to dinner with Hubby in his uniform before, but since we live in a military community, it isn't like people are jumping at the chance to pay for our meals. We aren't "special" here like we might be outside of a military community.

Then the paranoia set in. Who paid? Were they watching us? Did we order too much? TELL US WHO PAID!!!! It ended up being a family that was sitting close to us. After dinner, we got up and went over to thank them. They said they just wanted to thank us for our service.  (I was thrilled when they said "our service"-- because I do think the kids and I serve too) I let them know that Hubby had just gotten back that morning from a deployment and they were thrilled. They had no idea. They just paid because they wanted to thank us. What a great ending to an amazing day. But wait...it got better. 

As I was finishing my conversation with this generous family, I feel a tap on my shoulder. Who was it? My daughter's Music teacher. Full circle I tell you! She was laughing and said, "I didn't think she was supposed to stay in class once she told me that Daddy came home, but she was in such shock, she just sat down and started singing!" I think that made my husband feel better...knowing that his six year old daughter didn't love music more than him, it was just the shock of it all.  

That night at the IHop, everyone was welcoming him home, congratulating the kids and I. Making us feel so very special. I thought that would happen at the airport or at the school. The way I had planned it ( or, more precisely, imagined it) But it didn't. It happened at the IHop, an unplanned, spur of the moment decision that ended up flooding our family with well wishes and heart- felt thank you's from strangers. 

I guess I should have alerted the press to meet us at IHop. 

78 comments:

Anonymous said...

love to you all. you are the best storyteller, eileen. i can totally see you debating about the dentist appointment. :)

Carrie at Rhubarbsky said...

Totally crying. How beautiful!!!

Betsie said...

How wonderful for you all! Thank you for sharing this wonderful moment :o)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, I'm tearing up just reading this. And thank you -- you certainly do all serve.

Knitters Notebook said...

Beautiful!!!

~~Renee

Anonymous said...

beautiful story.

thank you ~ you and your husband for serving our country.

* elizabeth * said...

Yaaay! Thank you for your family's service!!

Angela said...

Congratulations! I am very happy for your family! I know you are beyond ecstatic. Thank you and your husband for your service! I am visiting from Beauty That Moves.

xo,
Angela

bridgmanpottery said...

Congratulations on your homecoming!

Daisy said...

Clicking over from your cousin's blog and couldn't resist wishing y'all a happy homecoming. I'm a fellow military wife and know the odd and exciting mix of feelings well. Many well wishes to you and yours as you settle back into life together! :)

Jenna said...

crying here. came over from heather's blog. feeling so much happiness for your family. feeling so grateful there are people like you in our country. thank you, and enjoy being together again.

erin said...

I found your blog through your cousin, Heather's blog. I want to also thank you and your family for your service. And thanks for the story that had me in tears. The part about your preschooler made me lose it. Glad he's back!

Jamie said...

Welcome home! And thank you, all of you, for your service.

Anonymous said...

I'm here via your cousin's blog. Congrats to you on the happy reunion and thanks from all of us ordinary Americans that don't take up this mantle to serve. Your family makes extraordinary sacrifices on behalf of the rest of us, and it is so appreciated and admired! Enjoy your time together. I hope it lasts for a good long while!

Susan

Elizabeth said...

So great to hear happy stories like yours when there are so many sad ones out there. Congratulations - and thanks for your service!

Jennifer Bujno said...

Eileen, I loved reading your reunion story. So, so, so precious. I pray that God will bless your family as you are together now. You were so strong when he was away, I have such respect for you.

Much love,
Jen Bujno

Nicole said...

That's awesome :)

I'm so glad you guys are all back together and thank you ALL for your service.

Nicole

Mrs. Col. Forearms said...

Thank you for sharing that beautiful story!

My husband spent 17 years on active duty in the army, 9 months in Desert Storm. There is NOTHING better than the feel of your head on his left shoulder and his arms around you after deployment! We share your joy.

XO Mrs. Col. Forearms

Amanda said...

What a wonderful surprise for you!

Thank you for your service.

emily said...

reading (via heather's blog) with tears rolling down my face. what a beautiful day. thank you for sharing!

The Laughing Family said...

Congratulations! What a blessing to have him home again earlier than expected! And, yes - you do all serve. So another thank you to each member of your family for the various sacrifices you have made over the past few months, and even years. THANK YOU!

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

You are a family that serves, and I thank you too. Welcome home, and welcome to whole family time.

Amy said...

Congratulations! I knew there was another reason to love ihop! And, thank you for your family's service.

Apey Lee's Homespun Designs said...

Woo hoo! Good for you and your family. Six months early and a family is brought back together again.

Holly C. said...

I'm so happy that your family is now reunited. Thank you ALL for your service!!!

Trez said...

that's awesome!

Tracy said...

Another of your cousin's readers who popped over to give a huge welcome home to your husband! What a beautifully written--and incredibly moving--story.

And to echo so many of the others here today...thank you ALL for your service. We are honoured to have you in our midst.

Inoureyes said...

Consider us the press that you didnt call!
Thanks for sharing...that made the start of my day.
Off to kiss hubby and be thankful for what we have!

Meryl said...

What a great story! Congratulations! And thanks!

my side of the fence said...

Can you pass the tissues?

Congratulations!! So happy for you and your family. I totally agree with you, we do serve too, and it is nice when others "get" that.

sperlygirl said...

clicking over from your cousin's blog...a warm thank you to your WHOLE family for their service. we are grateful. with deep gratitude...

morikomidori said...

so beautiful and heartwarming!
gosh, you are a lovely writer!
i shed a few tears and smiled so many times reading this :)

Joolz said...

Woohoo! and hello from Australia! I have popped over from Heather's blog and now I am blubbering away. What a beautiful story! I was okay with it all until I got to the bit about the family paying for your meal - that is so cool! Thank you for your service, we are indebted to you all.
Have a happy life,


Joolz

seashoreknits said...

Visiting here from Heather's blog and so glad I did - welcome home, Daddy!!!!
And yes, I too have to say, thank you ALL for your service. It means so much to us that words really aren't adequate.

Heather said...

I have had such a rotten day, a "kid took pen in hand and colored ALL OVER THE WALLS" day, where I wasn't my most patient loving self. I don't find it very easy to cry, I really wish I did. Reading your post made me bawl, and it felt so,so,good- just what I needed. Even more it was a reminder to step outside myself for a moment and to look at the bigger picture, out of my petty bad mood because my husband took the last of the soup leaving me with no other diet approved options, to gratitude. Thank you for pulling me out of my cranky self-absorption and thank you for the sacrifices you and your family have made.

Anonymous said...

thank you for your family's service! love this story. laughing, tears, what a great day!
You must have been all happy hungover the next day!

renee @ FIMBY said...

Welcome home (from a friend of your cousin).

Its_Lily said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful story and a beautiful experience. Welcome home!

Dawn said...

Congratulations! Having been an ex-military family with a 4-mo deployment to Korea not long after marriage, I feel for you. And I think that is the most amazing thing, the whole iHop scene. Amazing how wonderful people can be, when we least expect it. You will have that wonderful memory to savor forever.

And you are totally right...that family serves just as much and as hard as the military member, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. So thank you to both you and your husband (and kids), for all that you do.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it was great to hear your perspective. You have a very "meta" experience, thinking about your expectations while you're experiencing something. I'm glad it felt "real" later that night at IHOP. :)

Pam in Paris said...

Such a beautiful emotional post! What a great day!
I am so glad he's home!
Thanks Heather, for pointing it out to us!

Anonymous said...

Jumping over from your cousins blog. wonderful story. so happy you got a surprise of your husband home early. reminds me of a friend whose husband also served overseas. wishing you the best. Isabella

joseph said...

oh my! c r y i n g...
thanks you for sharing this, and for the true service of your entire family. it's overwhelming to imagine this experience + so very good for us all to connect with it, on some level.
so happy that you are all back together. best wishes to you all + a sincere thank you.

Natalie said...

What a heart warming story. Thank you to you all for your service to our country and enjoy this time together.

Rose said...

That is a great story -- enjoy.

Heather said...

Woo hoo! Just stopping over from your cousin's blog - Congratulations to all of you. What a great story! I missed my husband's (then fiance's) return from Desert Storm when my friend and I went to decorate our hotel rooms and pretty up for our men :) We'd even gone on base to check where they were supposed to be arriving, we just didn't think the banners and balloons were for their unit! They came in 4 hours early, so we missed the whole thing, camera crews, everything. I will never. live. it. down. I like yours much better! Enjoy your time together.

jenny said...

What a great day! Congratulations to your family for your happy reunion. Bless you and your family.

Amanda said...

Glad he came back safe!

sk said...

very sweet-- made me cry. So glad your family is back together!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all that your family is doing for all of us. This is a wonderful post and I am so happy for your family.

The family that paid for your dinner was wonderful. What a special day that all of you will remember forever.

Cindy

Jamie said...

I LOVE IT,your family is awesome,funnyhow your daughter went back to music class.Congrats to your family for having the man of the household back safely here at home.
My sister is a newlywed and waiting the arrival of her husband any day.
LOTS OF BLESSINGS

Unknown said...

what a lovely story. I've popped over from Heather's blog and I'm from Australia. Everyone in the military and their families do an amazing job, I'm so glad your man is safe and well and at home with you all.

Allison said...

Happy for you that you have your family reunited.
Best,
Allison.

Lynn said...

This brought tears to my eyes and laughter to my heart. Thank you all for your service.

Unknown said...

you are a wonderful storyteller. such a tearjerker too. So happy for you all and thank you again for your service. xo Meagan.

Yolanda said...

So thankful for you and your husband. I come from a Military family. My dad was in the Korean War,my uncle in WWII and my father in law in both the pacific and atlantic during WWII and my great aunt had three sons who served in WWII one of whom didn't come home. I know the sacrifice and am grateful for all you do. I know everyone up the road in Ft. Campbell is so happy . Mya god bless you all.

Kimberly said...

SO happy for you all! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to your ENTIRE family for your sacrifice...may we all hug our families more!

Carol

biedermann family abroad said...

Awwww, now I'm cwying...! Welcome home Casey, now can Eileen come to Hawaii to play? Pwease (doing my best Aidan voice ...)!!

nocton4 said...

happy happy days, huge smiles xx

Jennie said...

Welcome home! I'm visiting from Heather's blog. Your story moved me to tears. Thank you for all serving.

Lori said...

I'm cwying too...and laughing. This was my first post to read this morning and wow, what a way to start my day ~ it took me awhile to get through ~ reading through my tears and all, but so glad I came over to share in this special moment.
Happy reunion!!!

Anonymous said...

Guess I will be the only one to say this makes me feel uncomfortable.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for your family that all si ok for you, and I am sorry you have to live in fear during some times, but hey, wasn't it your choice ? All those "heart-felt thank you and congratulations" for a man whose job is to kill people (or help others to) ? Hum, not perfectly beautiful I may say.
Sorry to tone down all those happy tears but I felt someone had to say this at least once...
Anyway, still glad for your family that all is well.

lilyknits said...

Such a beautiful story - sitting here crying in my morning coffee! Thank you to ALL of you. So glad you are all back together :)

Michele said...

Stopping by from your cousins blog to say THANK YOU All for your sacrifices and your courage. Your homecoming story was beautiful bringing tears to my eyes.Enjoy your family as a whole.With love & gratitude.

Michele

m.aziz said...

Congratulations on your family reunion! You are a very good narrator, had me tearing up with a smile on my face. Glad that your family is together again safe and sound.
Ammal~

Anonymous said...

:) Love this story! So glad he is home! Be sure to thank him for me!!!
Shaunna

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful surprise! Your family is complete once again. My guy is coming home 3 months early from his deployment. He'll be home in time for Christmas. I am, as I know you are, feeling very blessed.

Unknown said...

Bawling my eyes out. So happy for happy endings and happy happy children xx

Cheyenne said...

From one military family to another, thank you and WOOHOO!!!!

Anonymous said...

totally crying here. but its a good cry.

glad your family is all together again.

Wendy, England said...

"Woo-hoo!" - visiting from Heather. Lovely story, great writing. Have a fab weekend. x

Natalie said...

Aww!! Crying now! I'm so glad that he's home and safe with you guys! Congratulations and thank you for all that you do!!

Marianna said...

You brought tears to my eyes. Congrats on having your husband home and safe! And, yes, thanks to you all for your service!

Anne@BackyardTreasures said...

That was beautiful! I have tears in my eyes. Happy for you all that your husband is safe at home again. Please thank him for his service to our country. My family and I appreciate it VERY much!

Lisa said...

Hello, came via Heather, beautifully told story, I heaved a big sigh of relief at the end, it is the whole family that serves, thank you for the eloquent reminder and sacrifice! My children's dad is in Afghanistan and the transitions are tough for them, often they cannot fully express their emotions in the moment. Happy homecoming.

Unknown said...

Thank you!! I grew up in a military community and my husband's father, mother and brother have all served in the military. It can be a hard life. I really appreciate all that your husband does and your willingness to let him.

Beautiful, beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.

Eileen said...

Thank you all for stopping by and wishing us all well. I'm excited for those of you who have loved ones coming home soon, sorry for those who don't (or for those who missed a homecoming -- ugh!), thankful for those who have served as a family, and honored that so many of you appreciate what my husband does for our country.

For "Anonymous" who apparently doesn't feel warm and fuzzy about my husband's job, I understand -- truly. But know that "killing" is not his job. Protecting is. Protecting Iraqi and Afghan civilians (and that is just these last few deployments), protecting you and me and our children. He's been at this job for 26 years and will continue to protect you and your family for as long as he can -- whether you want him to or not. Because that is what soldiers do and why military families "choose" to support their guys. While we do live in fear from time to time, it is to make sure that YOU don't have to.
Thanks again everyone!