Monday, September 14, 2009

Standing


I don't get people sometimes. People who treat others like dirt, just because they can. People who talk down to, or patronize others are so annoying, and really not anyone I would want to hang with. And yet, there are a few people like that in my life that I can not seem to get away from! Does everyone have "one of those" in their life? And do you run into him/her everywhere you go? EVERYWHERE?


It is really quite embarrassing when the attitude flares when you are "with" this person, or even just standing near them. Everyone around just assumes you are the same way. I try to smile and look away, like I have NO idea what this person is talking about as she bitches and talks as if everyone was so very beneath her. Oh, the nerve.


I remember the male nurse who still haunts me to this day. I have fake conversations with him in my head -- now that I am healthy and able to defend myself. He was one of those types. Attitude, degrading...you know. As I sit there in his little pod of an office, my hands holding my head, tears streaming down my nose, dripping onto my sweat pants... I get, "You should really figure out who is going to manage your health care." I was in so much pain at the time I couldn't defend myself, so in shock that someone would think that of me, I couldn't respond at all. Now...now I review that conversation in my head every now and then and I have all sorts of replies.


But what good is it now? What is it with us polite, nice people who sit in shock when the male nurses of the world have the upper hand in banter? Why can't we just tell them to shove it? To stop talking that way to others? Why let them get away with it over and over?

And why...why must I always be standing in line with them when it is happening?

No comments: