Monday, June 2, 2008

B is for...

I find my life ironic on most occasions but this past week has proved it to be true. My birthday turned into several days of celebration with packages from Slovakia filled with a chocolates and a beautiful cross, wonderful people stopping by with a surprise "party in a bag" -- how I wish we were all staying in one place so we could all become better friends! -- and, of course, my lovely children not only inviting every person we came into contact with to a non existent party, but literally serving me breakfast in bed, (an Eggo waffle, a piece of string cheese and a piece of bread that I think was supposed to be toast) and giving me homemade birthday cards. Best of all my parents and my sister and her family came up and took me and my kids out to lunch and then had a party at my house.

Given past birthdays, I think if my husband were here, none of this would happen and my birthday would have been a couple of kisses and maybe a dinner out. Which is the ironic part. Since he is gone, I had the best birthday I have had in a long, long time. What does that say about my husband's birthday skills? They need to be improved. Of course, this is the same man who gave me cash (oh I'm sorry gift certificates) for Mother's Day a few years back. Yes, he needs help in some areas. Take my 30th birthday. A pretty significant date in my book and it was our first birthday as a married couple. What did I get for this important holiday? (yes, holiday!) A Happy Happy Headscratcher. I am not kidding. Have you seen these? They have a straight handle and about fifteen wired fingers sticking out from the base. You stick it on your head and move it up and down and it massages your head. Yes. He needs help in some areas.


Today I spent in my neurologist's office talking about weaning me off some of the meds to test the significance of my wisdom tooth extraction. I am terrified. I just so badly want the cure to this horrible nightmare to be the extraction, and I am not ready to be let down (not to mention the pain coming back...not ready!!) In two weeks, I will be taking my meds down one at a time until either a) the pain comes back or b) I am completely off the meds and cured. b b bbbbb!!!! Please be BBBBB!!!!!!

I pray that irony will not affect the outcome of this test. I pray that the good luck of finding friends in people that I didn't know cared will carry on into this process. I pray that having my family around will give me the strength to face the outcome. And I pray that I don't get cash in a card from my husband congratulating me on a job well done. Oh how I want to wake up with Eggos in the morning and not pain!!!!

4 comments:

Dawna said...

Don't fret his gift giving skills too much, you're not alone. Let's see, for 4 straight occassions I received the exact same bracelet. This year for Christmas I got a shop vac and an iron. For our 8th anniversary I was given a sonic toothbrush.

It's not just your husband, it's the gender.

Anonymous said...

i may have you beat. i got a space pen for me 30th. in case i needed to write something in zero gravity... the ink will still flow.

stop laughing.

xo
heather

Susan said...

Prayers for b! And, I agree about the gift giving thing being gender based. I got a tennis racket (I don't play) and a sonic toothbrush (were they on sale?) for Christmas this year.

Eileen said...

Ok...I see a trend here ladies. But I still think getting cash may have y'all beat. (though all of your presents are definitely on the same lameness scale!) What's up with these guys???!!!