Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Knock Knock

So tomorrow is my birthday, which I would have completely overlooked if it weren't for my four year old who keeps inviting people to the "huge party" that is supposedly happening. Which it isn't. And it makes me wonder who he is inviting. Lord knows who will be showing up at my house tomorrow as he knows our address. Isn't it strange when you get to a certain point in life and you need someone to remind you of your birthday? I think I will feel saddened when my children start forgetting about their birthdays (if I am still around).

So instead of forgetting about it (which is impossible since apparently I have to plan a huge party) I thought a lot about the last year and what I have learned and what I have dealt with. So here are a few thoughts about my 35th year:

* It can ALWAYS get worse.
* One of the best things about my kids getting older is their ability to tell a knock knock joke that is actually funny. (there are only so many times I can grin and fake a giggle to: knock knock, who's there? banana....over and over and over and...)
* Sometimes getting sick and/or having a condition allows you to conquer fears (like driving into a city you don't know, finding parking and finding the clinics over and over and over and...)
* Living near family is not only wonderful but is a requirement from now on.
* If the above requirement isn't possible, living near military friends is definitely a good second.
* Christmas at home and with family makes for a magical time.
* Somethings aren't as scary when you talk or write about them.
* Exercise is a must. When it is taken away I realize how much I miss it.
* Chocolate is a must. See above.
* Not watching the news makes for a peaceful existence. (what war? my husband is on a business trip)
* There are definite angels in the world (like waitresses who sit with two of your kids while you run to the bathroom with the third kid. trust me, she is an angel)
* Thinking the mantra: "someday I will sleep" over and over while rocking sick children definitely helps.
* After all of these years, I still want a cigarette.
* Sometimes sucky things happen, sometimes great things happen.
* Sometimes you have to make yourself a birthday party so that your kids can have a great day. This is what being a mom is all about.

And so I move on to my 36th year. I will be seeing my husband in the next few months. I will probably be moving in the next few months. I will hopefully make some new friends and keep my old ones close. I might be having brain surgery in the next few months, but overall, I look forward to the next year. Especially the huge party my four year old will be throwing. You are all invited.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!