Monday, May 26, 2008

Snacks

Like it isn't hard enough to raise three young kids by myself, have a condition that may require brain surgery and every day worry about my spouse out there, somewhere fighting in the sand, now I have Big Brother of the grocery store yelling at me.

I was pushing this huge contraption, the four and three year olds sitting on a bench-like seat and the one year old in the seat of the actual cart (he seemed so far away) and the kids were all whining and crying. The one year old was drooling, crying and trying to get out of the cart so I grabbed a box of snacks from the shelves, opened it and put them in his hand.....ahhhh silence. I could concentrate once more (for a minute or two)...and then it happened. I was in the soda isle (I am now addicted to diet Mountain Dew) and the loudest announcement came over the loud speakers: "For those of you who are opening food and feeding them to your children, this is strictly against policy and must be stopped immediately." OOOOOKAAAAY. What the hell? Big Brother is not only watching me, but yelling at me!

Now you have to understand, this is the Commissary. This is the store where all of us courageous and strong willed women shop while our men are gone. They know we are single parents right now. They know we are at our wits end. They know we don't have a break. And they still manage to yell at us (me) and embarrass us (me) for trying to get peace while shopping at their store.

And to top it off, when I was paying (yes, I was paying Mr. Big Brother with the big mouth) the cash register lady was saying to the other cash register lady, "Man I can't wait 'til five o'clock, I am out of here!" and me being me couldn't let that go. I said, "I wish I could get off of work at five but I don't get off of work. I work twenty-four hours a day." That shut her up.

I think the bagger man saw my frazzled, pissed off aura or something because on the way out to my car, he said "You are doing a fine job Ma'am. You hang in there. You are doing a fine job. Have a good Memorial Day. It's for you too." I felt like hugging him. Instead I stuffed more of MY snacks into the one year old and strapped in the three year old.


Happy Memorial Day to all of the soldiers who fought, all the soldiers who are fighting and all of the wives who do what they can to get through each day...it's for you too.

3 comments:

Dawna said...

You handled that MUCH better than I would have, though I do like what you said to the cashier. You go girl! All I know is I'd probably end up in the stockade (do they even still have a stockade?) if Big Brother spoke to me that way.

You continue to impress me every day with your strength and courage. Your blog should be mandatory reading for everyone who thinks they’ve got it rough because the dry cleaner lost their favorite blouse, or the dog peed on the carpet, or their husband forgot their birthday. You are truly an amazing woman.

Anonymous said...

I am trying to leave a comment again....
wonder where they go?

anyway....perhaps next time you should go right ahead and hug the bag boy...he deserves it for his wisdom beyond his years!

I think your ability to put one foot in front of the other and get through each day is inspirational!!!!!

AND i hope when all is said and done you will wrap all of this into a book...
HOW TO SURVIVE BEING A SINGLE MOM IN TIMES OF PEACE OR WAR!!!!!

Love you Leenie!!!!!

Susan said...

Holy CRAP! I cannot believe they did that! I would have died. Well, probably not. I did survive Luke pulling the fire alarm at school... Still, though! I don't know how you do it. I know that doesn't make you feel better, but you're definitely a hero. Btw, drop by with the kids for a play date any time. I MEAN it. Really.