Tuesday, April 22, 2008

List

My friend was teasing me because I am so over the town I live in as well as the people in it. She calls me a "short timer" since I will (maybe) be leaving soon. I don't think that is what my problem is. My problem is: I am fed up with being a single mom and dealing with people. Doesn't matter where I am living. I am fed up with people. Let's give some examples:

My Oral Surgeon. Had me waiting over an hour in the typical doctor's room. Tiny, stuffy, nothing to look at. Usually you can hear signs of life outside the door right? Well, after forty minutes I heard nothing. Not a peep. So immediately I thought: they forgot about me and went to lunch. Now when my mind gets paranoid the thoughts immediately go to reality. Now I am very upset because they forgot me. I got up and went to the front. Nope, still there. The receptionist with the sugar smile. Apologizing and probably cursing the doc out herself since she was missing her lunch hour. The consult was quick. Pull your teeth, blah blah blah. See you Monday. (I will get back to that at another time)

My Lawn Guy. My front lawn is literally a foot high. My kids are out there yelling "look at this one Mommy, this one reaches my belly!" I am sure my neighbors hate me. No one else's lawn looks like this. My backyard is even worse. My daughter took off her Crocs in the grass last night and we couldn't find them. I was on my porch scanning the field (ie, my backyard) and couldn't locate them. I know for a fact my husband set up a lawn service. I even know the guy who does it. He has come to mow my neighbor's lawn twice now. Can he not see the jungle that is my yard? Does he get a kick out of the different shades of green and yellow? I want to throttle him. Worse, I have to figure out how to mow this wheat field (my lawn) with the three kids in tow.

Civilian Workers on Post. Today I thought I would go sign my four year old son up for Tball. I was fairly excited. Why? It is a fairly momentous occasion in any child's life to sign up for "baseball." I should have known that my excitement would be dashed and crushed on the floor by the bureaucratic civilian workers behind The Desk. You know The Desk. If you have ever dealt with the Government, you are familiar with The Desk. And the people behind It. I brought everything I could think of to sign him up: a copy of his last physical, his birth certificate, my military ID, my check book, and my wallet. The lady behind The Desk takes a look at his physical and says: "he's got a heart murmur?" To which I reply, "ummm....no?!" (I mean first of all where did she even come up with that and secondly, why would I sign him up if he did have a heart murmur)Then, "says here he got asthma." (yes yes. My child cannot breathe nor can he run because of his heart condition, but I want to see him out on that field!) That is what I wanted to say. Instead: "ummm....no, no asthma. Where are you looking?" I thought maybe I had taken someone else's (sickly child's) physical. I looked. She was reading it wrong. It read: "Physician Denies: heart murmur, asthma, eye problems..." Denies. Apparently, The Desk wipes out all brain cells upon sitting down behind it.

My Husband. Yes. I know. I should be running around with an American flag and my husband's picture plastered to my heart. But I am fed up. I am done being single mommy. I am done being the good wifey. When my kids get hurt, who do they cry for? Daddy. And yes, I understand they miss him. Blah blah blah. But what would it take to get a letter? It has been two months and nothing. An occasional email. There had better be a good reason (that I will never know) for that. When the kids ask me if Daddy has sent anything, I say with a huge smile, "why yes! let me get it! " and I quickly write a letter and read it to them. They then take the letter that "Daddy" sent and hug it and talk about it for the next day or two.

I am tired of the people. I have great hope that this will soon pass. If it doesn't you can find me and my kids hunting for Croc's, reading pretend letters, and taking it easy due to heart murmurs and asthma for the next several months.

1 comment:

Dawna said...

I couldn't agree with you more. People su, I mean stink. What kills me, though, is that everyone seems to think people "stink". So if everyone thinks it, why is it still true?

Want to move with me to someplace secluded where we can live off the land, get power from the sun and wind, and never have to deal with people again? Sounds like Utopia, doesn't it?