Saturday, February 16, 2008

Another Saturday Night

Amazing what a week can do. I am no longer in any pain. I am able to interact with my kids. It's a miracle! Bridget still pretends she is Mommy and holds ice packs to her face and prays to God that her teeth will be ok. Poor kid.

I got my hair colored today; a week ago, I couldn't have imagined someone pulling and tugging at my head. It looks terrible. But I really don't care because I am PAIN FREE BABY! I met my husband and kids at a store afterwards and my darling husband had my kids say: "your hair looks beautiful mommy!" when in actuality I look like a giant strawberry. I asked for Mahogany Violet. Sounds very dramatic and mysterious right? It came out on my head as bright strawberry. No deep dark mahogany. No fun, spontaneous violet. Just bright red. With blond streaks, that actually appear to be gray on top of the bright red.

I didn't have it in me to question the hair dresser. To be honest, I was looped out again on these wonderful pain management pills. She could've turned my hair blue and I wouldn't have cared this morning. La la la! I am out in the world and I have no pain!!!

Perhaps if you have never lived with chronic pain it doesn't seem like a big deal. The notion of it sounds bad, but it is just a notion to most people. It is like hearing about your Aunt Ida who has terrible bouts of some horrible debilitating something or other. Your mother calls you and tells you about it once a week, and it brings some sympathy to the listener, but in reality as soon as the line is disconnected Aunt Ida is forgotten. And then it hits you.

Every single minute, every single day, every single night...PAIN. You go to bed hoping you can get a couple of hours of sleep without waking in pain. Upon wakening- you know that first few seconds of consciousness where you forget your daily tasks and wonder what the world has for you-- pain! And the day just goes down from there.

And you're still supposed to function normally. Kids don't get put on hold. Husband is doing his best but really does mind having to cook every night. Friends are being patient. ARGH the pain of it all.

And then some doctor is called. Some person knows how to help. Some miracle happens and you are pain free for the first time in MONTHS! You want to have a party. You want to call the doctor back and bless him and his family. You want to play with your kids like you did back in September...before all of this.

And so our day was typical and normal and wonderful because I looked like a moldy, gray strawberry and had a smile from ear to ear.

No comments: