Saturday, February 23, 2008

Does Spiderman Wear Underwear?

My four year old son is obsessed with wearing a Spiderman outfit that I gave him. Which is good because last year at this time he was obsessed with wearing various princess costumes. Now I have to pry Spidey off of him in order to get appropriate clothing on him to go to Walmart or church. Today I was in the midst of this and noticed he wasn't wearing any underwear. I asked him why and he replied, "Mommy, Spiderman doesn't wear underwear!" I had no retort to this. Except to state to my son, "Yes he does wear underwear so you have to." To which he replied, "How do you know Mommy?" At this point I was almost dropping my ten month old, the three year old was managing to toast her picture -- don't ever get a step stool for the kitchen-- so I just went with it. "Fine, don't wear any" and I stomped away thinking:

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

That is the only sentence I remember from my years as a Latin student. I felt like yelling that at my four year old. It would have gotten the same reaction that "because I said so" gets. A stare, a stomp, and a slam of a door. Maybe if I start speaking in Latin my kids will start listening to me. Because then they'd have to figure out what I was saying. I will try anything at this point.

Does anybody really know if Spiderman wears underwear? Can you email me and let me know so I can win the argument next time?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course Spidey wears underwear...if he didn't wouldn't he get chilly from the wind when he spins his web and "flies" through the air to save someone? Hopefully his mother told him never to wear dirty underwear - in case he has an accident!