Friday, March 7, 2008

Majors and Minors

Isn't it strange when other people know more about the major parts of your life before you do? Like when you get an ultrasound and the technician knows not only the sex of your baby, but if there is something wrong with him/her and for a brief moment, if there is more than one.

I feel like there are several people all over the world that know more about me and my family than I do, and it is so disconcerting. Last night I got a phone call from an institution (that I can't name) that was trying to verify something my husband had done. Well, I was no help since I don't know where said husband is nor do I know what he is doing. And the person on the other end of the phone did. I felt like asking her, "C'mon, just between us ladies...give me a hint" But I held back.

It was so weird to be talking to someone who knows more about my husband than I do at the present time; I am sure if I talk to my brother-in-laws they could tell me things about my husband from the past that I don't know and don't want to know. That is an entirely different topic.

And on a smaller level whenever my kids are with other people- whether it is in their cars, houses,or classrooms- I don't know how they behave. I hope to God they are sweet, kind and polite but come on. I am sure they have many moments of being a 4year old and a 3 year old. People are just too nice to tell me.

And then there are the doctors. And for me, it is one doctor in particular that is holding the key to the next few months if not years of my life. I sit here and wonder what she is doing tonight. Is she watching shows that her TIVO recorded? Is she practicing in front of her mirror how she will tell me, "Well Eileen, the findings are, yes you have MS." And then she hears the music from American Idol starting and forgets all about me. (Why I am picturing this highly intelligent woman acting like a fifteen year old I don't know)

So I sit here and wonder how many people in our lives know something we don't about ourselves, our families, our country, our world. And do we want to know? I am still debating that. For now I have to go watch Rock of Love 2 and forget about what I don't know for a while.

No comments: